Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Oscar Harry

I did two versions of this head.

The first:

Photobucket

had no fatty expansion at the end. This was still pretty early on in my relationship with Ain't-It-Cool and with Harry in particular, and I didn't know how far I could go with things. I had no interest in offending the guy, that's for sure, and I already felt like his head on the skinny body was gag enough.

I sent it off to Harry, and he disagreed. He immediately emailed me back with the suggestion that he suddenly explode into corpulence at the end, and so:

Photobucket

Which is definitely an improvement.

But more importantly, it made clear that Mr. Knowles had no issues with his cartoon avatar being fat, nor with that fatness being the punchline in some of the heads. Obviously, this reframed the ground rules on what I could or could not do with these animations, and gave me more freedom than I had been giving myself.

Freedom that I have since happily abused.

No comments: