Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Moriarty

Please remember before reading this post:
At no point did I promise the contents of this blog would be pretty.

Eventually, I was asked to provide avatars for some of the other spies that made up the motley cast of Ain't-It-Cool. Primary among them, the evil genius, Moriarty.

At the time, Harry sent me a paragraph-long write-up on what he wanted included in these character designs. I'd include these descriptions, but they are literally 4 computers ago, each computer dying violently, and so the records are lost (at least on MY end, to the ages).

Regardless, my first shot at Mori ended like this:

Photobucket

Not so hot, and (luckily) not satisfactory to Harry (I'm not sure if it was run past Moriarty at this point, but I'm sure if it was, he was equally unimpressed).

I was given a bit of design clarification and came to this:

Photobucket

So at this point, the design was approved, but the animation was junk. The only reason I can even claim to guess at what I was trying for is by looking at the revised version:

Photobucket

'Oh! I see. He was supposed to be tugging on his goatee. Huh. I never would've guessed. I see it now.'

I can only look back at myself and shake my head. At least that last version works well enough. I'm not entirely sure it ever ran as a corner animation, but I'm pretty sure Mori used it at the bottom of his articles for a little while.

Any resemblance to Vincent Von Ghoul is purely coincidental.

No comments: